This is probably my favorite cake of all time. Three layers or moist cake with pineapple chunks and chopped pecans with a perfectly sweet cream cheese frosting to finish it all off. This is always a hit in my house and it’s one that is requested time and time again. Impress guests with this easy recipe that packs a punch.
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 300ml Sunflower Oil
- 270g Peeled and Mashed Bananas (around 3 bananas in my experience)
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 300g of Cake Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 100g Tinned Pineapple Chopped Into Small Pieces
- 100g Pecans, Chopped and Whole or Half Pecans to Decorate
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16oz of Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- 2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature and Cut Into Small Pieces
- 2 Cups of Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 3 x 8in Cake Tins, Lined with Greaseproof Paper
- Preheat Oven to 325°F
- Put eggs, sugar, oil, banana and cinnamon together and beat until well incorporated with electric whisk (don’t worry if the mixture looks slightly split).
- Slowly add the flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract and beat until everything is well mixed.
- Stir in the chopped pineapple and pecan nuts by hand until evenly dispersed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tins and smooth. Bake in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and the sponge bounces back when touched. Allow to cool in tins for about 10-15 minutes before cooling on rack, turned out.
- While the cake cools, soften the cream cheese in an electric mixer, gradually add butter, sift in sugar and continue to beat while adding the vanilla. Beat until you get a creamy frosting.
- When the cakes have cooled begin to layer your cake. I start by putting a dollop of the frosting on the plate or disk you’ll use to store/serve the cake so that the bottom layer doesn’t move around. After the first layer, put more frosting and repeat twice. When all layers are stacked use the remaining frosting to coat the entire cake (make sure you leave enough frosting for this). Finish the cake by decorating it however you want with pecans!
- As always, enjoy!