I’ll start by saying that I made these out of boredom and less out of a need for a last-minute dessert, however, they would work great for this need to. This took me probably 5 minutes to make and made six servings! Perfect if you love coconut and chocolate and have some coconut milk or cream in the pantry that you have no use for. This is a very adaptable recipe as well and can be topped how you like and can make more or less chocolatey.
- 2 cans of coconut milk left in the fridge overnight (if you have coconut cream or the English version of coconut milk you do not need to refrigerate overnight)
- 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar (you can make this healthier by substituting a natural sweetener)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder (you can adjust this based on how chocolatey you would like the dessert)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 20g shaved chocolate (again, optional)
- any garnish (one day I used cream, raspberries and shaved chocolate, the other I used chocolate chips)
- If you are using the coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight, carefully open the tins and scoop out the hardened milk that has come to the top, do the same for coconut cream or the English version of milk, place the thick cream in a bowl.
- Add the confectioners sugar or other sweetener you are using, and use an electric mixer on high to beat them together until it is thick and creamy (about a minute or two). At this time you can take a few spoonfuls out and put into the fridge of you would like to use the cream to top the mousse when it is ready.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt and beat until smooth and ‘mousse like’. Here you can also add the shaved chocolate if you are using. After all this is done the mousse should be ready to eat! Or, refrigerate in a large bowl or individual ramekins like I did and top how you like (I recommend taking them out of the fridge about 5 minutes before you are ready to eat them so they aren’t super cold).